Call Us Today at (561) 391-4900

Fluent in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese
English Spanish Italian French Portuguese

H-1C Visa for Nurses

Immigration and visas to the United States

The Nursing sing Relief for Disadvantaged Areas Act of 1999 created the H-1C visa for nurses to work for up to three years in health professional shortage areas.  The H-1C program is authorized until December 20, 2009.

Up to 500 nurses per year can get the visa, but each state, depending on its size, is limited to 25 or 50 nurses a year.  To qualify, a nurse must have a full and unrestricted registered nurse (RN) license in the country where the nursing education was obtained or received a nursing education in the United States.  He or she must (a) have passed the examination given by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools; (b) have a full and unrestricted RN license in the state where he or she will work; or (c) have a full and unrestricted RN license in any state and have received temporary authorization to practice as an RN in the state where he or she will work.  Additionally, the nurse must be eligible under the laws governing the place where he or she is to work immediately upon admission to the United States and be authorized under such laws to be employed by the hospital.

Facilities interested in sponsoring nurses for H-1C visas must submit Form ETA-9081, which contains a number of attestations regarding the employment of H-1V nurses,  Specifically, the facility attests:

The attestation is filed at the U.S. Department of Labor with a fee of $250. After the attestation is approved, the facility can then file a Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker on Form I-129 with USCIS.